Rasmus S. Søndergaard - Reagan, Congress, and Human Rights: Contesting Morality in US Foreign Policy
Join us November 16 at noon as Rasmus S. Søndergaard discusses his book Reagan, Congress, and Human Rights: Contesting Morality in US Foreign Policy. The Library is co-hosting this presentation with the Office of the Historian. Dr. Søndergaard is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow in the Department of History, Lunds Universitet, Sweden. He is a recipient of the Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science's Elite Research Ph.D. Prize.
“An engaging and original contribution to our understanding of the place of human rights in US foreign policy in the 1980s.” -- Sarah B. Snyder, American University
“In explaining how idealists in Congress forced the Reagan administration to embrace and recast human rights, Søndergaard reveals how profoundly the trajectory of US human rights policy was determined by contestation between the executive and the legislature. This richly researched book illuminates a poorly understood decade in the development of international human rights and recovers the role of overlooked actors, both in Congress and outside government.”-- Barbara Keys, Durham University
- Dial-in number: 1-415-527-5035
- Access code: 2761 748 4092
- Event password: 4fPj7qE6583 (43757736 from phones)
Advance registration is NOT necessary to join this presentation.
This event will feature live captioning.
Captioned videos from previous Speaker Series events are available on the Bunche Library’s Stream channel.
Requesting reasonable accommodations: Please use the GTM Next Employee Portal to request a reasonable accommodation. Employees unable to access the GTM Next Employee Portal should contact GTM/OAA at OAA@state.gov.
Upcoming Library Events:
(All events start at 12:00 Noon unless otherwise noted)
- November 30 (Wednesday) Nury Turkel – No Escape: The True Story of China's Genocide of the Uyghurs
- December 15 (Thursday) Shannon K. O’Neil – The Globalization Myth: Why Regions Matter
- January 18 (Wednesday) Nicholas Reynolds – Need to Know: World War II and the Rise of American Intelligence
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm